DTE Energy releases its 2016-2017 Corporate Citizenship Report
DETROIT, August 14, 2017 – DTE Energy released its 2016-2017 Corporate Citizenship Report (CCR) today, detailing the company's 2016 accomplishments and its strategy to reduce carbon emissions and invest in infrastructure to ensure clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy. The report also outlines DTE’s commitment to transforming Michigan through community revitalization, workforce development and environmental leadership.
“At DTE Energy, we know that addressing head-on the great challenges our country and our communities face is central to our work,” said Gerry Anderson, DTE Energy Chairman and CEO. “From our commitment to reduce carbon emissions by over 80% to our work to strengthen the middle class in our communities, I am proud of the work our employees are doing to make us an increasingly engaged and powerful corporate citizen.”
For the first time, DTE made Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 2017 list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens, a testament to its social responsibility strategy and the content of its Corporate Citizenship Report. The 2016-2017 Corporate Citizenship Report, entitled “A Force for Growth & Prosperity” illustrates how DTE is impacting economic growth, energy reliability, environmental stewardship and community revitalization across the state. The report is available to download at www.dtecitizenship.com.
DTE’s accomplishments highlighted in the report include:
- A broad and ambitious sustainability plan to reduce the company’s carbon emissions by 30 percent in the next ten years and by more than 80 percent by 2050. The company will achieve these reductions by adding more renewable energy to its portfolio, transitioning 24/7 power sources from coal to natural gas, and continuing to operate its zero-emission Fermi 2 power plant.
- As the largest investor of renewable energy in Michigan, DTE owns more wind and solar energy sources than any other company in Michigan, producing enough renewable energy in 2016 to power nearly 450,000 households.
- Improved electric reliability by 70 percent over the past two years. The company’s residential customers’ average electric bill was also six percent less than the national average.
- Upgraded 100 miles of gas mains and 290 miles of service lines to homes in 2016 with plans to upgrade an additional 140 miles of gas mains and 320 miles of service lines annually for the next five years.
- The DTE Energy Foundation awarded $15 million in grants to 360 nonprofit organizations in 2016, supporting STEM education, employment, environmental leadership, neighborhood revitalization, arts and culture.
- The company and its employees contributed more than $5.5 million to both the United Way and The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) to help its most vulnerable customers.
- Through our Care Force volunteer program, more than 2,300 DTE employees volunteered more than 21,000 hours of service at more than 300 nonprofit organizations across the state of Michigan.
- Demonstrated its best safety performance in company history and DTE Gas received the Safety Achievement Award for the second consecutive year.
- The only energy company in the world to be recognized as a Gallup Great Workplace for five consecutive years.
DTE Energy’s 2016-2017 Corporate Citizenship report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative's GRI G4 guidance, which enables organizations to measure and understand their most critical impacts on the environment, society and the economy. In addition to the web-based report, DTE has published a Highlights summary, also available at dtecitizenship.com. The public is welcome to provide feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About DTE Energy
DTE Energy (NYSE:DTE) is a Detroit-based diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Its operating units include an electric utility serving 2.2 million customers in Southeastern Michigan and a natural gas utility serving 1.3 million customers in Michigan. The DTE Energy portfolio includes non-utility energy businesses focused on power and industrial projects, natural gas pipelines, gathering and storage, and energy marketing and trading. DTE Energy is one of Michigan's leading corporate citizens positively impacting the 450 Michigan communities it serves in a variety of ways, including philanthropy, volunteerism and economic progress. Additional information about DTE Energy is available at dteenergy.com, twitter.com/dte_energy and facebook.com/dteenergy.